The Monastery of Saint Sarkis consists of Saint Sarkis Chapel of the 10th century, Surp Astvatsatsin Church (“Church of the Holy Mother of God”), an adjacent gavit of the 11th-12th centuries, vestibule, belfry, refectory, vaulted guest-chamber, housing for monks, and utility rooms. A fortification wall built in 1654 with fortified two-storey circular towers in three of the corners surrounds the monastic complex. During the earthquakes of 1679 and 1827, the monastery was reduced to ruins. The only structure left standing was the single-nave vaulted chapel that houses the grave of Saint Sarkis. He was originally buried in the village town of Namyan, but in the 5th century, a delegation led by Saint Mesrop moved the remains of Saint Sarkis and interred them at this site. The chapel was damaged and left in poor condition due to the earthquakes, and shows some signs of emergency repairs.